Thursday, 8 September 2011

Rain, rain, rain...

I cannot remember when we had this much rain. We usually get a lot of rain, but mostly it is in form of either rainstorms that lasts a few hours or a steady, miserable drizzle that will go on for days.

These past few days, the two seem to have been combined into heavy rainstorms that lasts for days. Everything is soggy and muddy, and even the dog is not keen on going outside, but I did manage to harvest a little during one of Mother Nature's short breaks:



I have to admit that the idea of being self-supplying is very appealing to me. In an ideal world, I would have free-range cows, pigs, goats, a wood stove fed with maintenance cut-offs from our living fences, a windmill to give us electricity, solar heating, earth heating, and to hook up the old well as a drinking supply again.

All of this is not feasible at the moment. Either it is too expensive, or too much hassle, or both. I was considering goats earlier this year, but I am not up for all the work required regarding ear-tags, registration, matings, transpotation, fencing, and butchering. So for now it is home-grown eggs, fruits and veggies, plus meat from our neighbour who has a small hobby production of charolais cattle that live a happy life on the field across from us.

2 comments:

  1. I think it sounds lovely... and I can live vicariously through you since you know I could never survive country living. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol...yeah, it can be a hassle at times.

    PS. You must come and dig up some potatoes!

    ReplyDelete